Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Still Life: Flower on Purple Table

Well, now that I'm starting to get more of the feel of how to paint flowers, I decided to tackle them again last night. This was a beautiful arrangement and provided a nice challenge of various greens mixed in with confusing whites.

As usual, after I toned the canvas (also known as pitching), I just laid in the basic color scheme to get the feel of where all of my masses were. After that, I started laying down the actual colors based on the values that I saw.

At one point, I realized that my vase was too grey and that I was working too much on it. The main reason for the error was that I was NOT laying down the values for ALL of the objects before doing the detail. Once I stepped back, laid down all of the other values (table, leaves, etc) correctly, my grey vase immediately became white.

As you can see, there is still a lot of work to do on it. It's amazing how fast 3 hours goes when doing something small and detailed. But, this time, I was able to take some pictures of it and will use those to finish off the values. The important part is that, since my general values are already done, it's a matter of using the photo to help define where some of the masses are, rather than paint directly from the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment