Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Finished working on my website

Over the last week, I've had to stop working on painting and actually focus on the business side of my art work. For the last year or so, I've been using Facebook as my main website. I just pointed my domain to go directly to my Facebook Fan page. However, after thinking about it, II decided that I needed a website. Essentially, if people wanted to see my artwork or purchase it, it's too hard to look around Facebook to find out the paintings for sale and, then, they had to click on the link to go to my Etsy site to purchase the painting.

So, time for a redesign. The basic purpose for the site was to 1) show my latest work easily, 2) access my list of paintings, and 3) make the purchase of paintings and prints easy. Also, it was a minor financial decision. If I used Paypal to control the purchases, rather than Etsy, then I wouldn't have to pay a monthly fee.

As you can see from the main page, it shows parts of my paintings easily and shows what I am currently working on. Using the dark background, the image stand out clearly. Also, using a simple header, it's obvious what the site is used for and who I am.








For the showing of the images, I created the gallery page:


As the user clicks on a particular thumbnail, you automatically get the image. For each image, I show the size, title, size and whether the original has been sold or not. There are links to immediately purchase the painting or print or view the shopping cart. In addition, the user can use the Next/Previous buttons to flip through the images quickly.

My favorite part of the gallery is that you can easily access any of the paintings quickly and purchase a print/original with a single click.

In the future, I will be adding links for what shows I will be attending.

Now, I can get back to painting

No comments:

Post a Comment