Monday, June 20, 2011

IMC: Day 2 (Sunday)

Getting tired. Had about 3 hours of sleep last night. The worst part is that my body is trained to wake up at 4:30 - 5:00, so going to bed around 2 - 3 a.m., doesn't help me get any rest.

So, headed over to the studio after breakfast and started working on my drawing. More lectures that morning and more drawing time. After a while, Greg Manchess and Ian McCaig came over and checked out my work. The dragon's head was still too small and I needed to make it larger.

Once the dragon's proportions were correct and I got the basic drawing done, Greg Manchess didn't like the wings. Using the standard single hook hand didn't do it for him. He suggested that I start positioning my hands at different angles (similar to a bat hand) and then work from there. That did the trick. Worked out much better and also produced a nice composition block for the right side of the painting.

Now that the basic composition shape was correct, I started to begin the process of creating a full-size drawing (18 x 24) on two-ply watercolor paper. This is the initial process for Donato's technique of mounting the paper onto masonite.

So, working until late that night, I finally finished the composed drawing and was able to go home at a reasonable hour (1:45 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment