Monday, April 5, 2010

Drawing Study: Willow Asleep

Tonight's practice study is of my dog, Willow. She's an eight-month old Bedlington Terrier. Every night, around 7:30, her and her brother, Fizz lay down to sleep. There's nothing like drawing from a live subject. Best part is... this is the only time that they're not actually moving and I can get a quick sketch in. For the most part, I have about 15 - 20 minutes before they change positions. It's my own portrait studio.

The drawing came out okay. It's a dog. There are parts of it that definitely resemble Willow and there are parts that don't. The massing of the shadows helps, but I think that I need to draw her larger so that the shadows can be more subtle. The hardest part of this is the hair but, it does make it a bit easier that she is semi-gray. This grayness helps me judge values better.

Her fan page can be found at: http://www.facebook.com/FizznWillowBedlingtonsInAction

No comments:

Post a Comment