Thursday, February 25, 2010

Still Life: Orange

Tonight's still life is another fruit: an orange. Okay, this was really really tough. At first, I thought that this would be pretty easy due to the fact that it's almost one single color with a dark/light area and that the object was spheroid.

Ha! Not so easy. The hardest part for me was to create the actual orange color. The typical orange that you get from the tube is too bright and strong. Therefore, you need to tone it down some with some greys. However, after studying the orange for a while, I realized that there's a hint of yellow (due to the lights in the living room), white (due to the bright spot light that I have on the still life) and, naturally wall/table colors.

The other tough part was that, when you look at an orange up close, there's a lot of ridges, dips and speckles. If you try to do each one, as you step back, you lose the roundness of the orange. If you don't do any sort of texture, then the orange is smooth... too much like a ball.

I don't know if I was successful in making it look like an orange, but it was a lot of fun trying to solve those problems.

1 comment: