Sunday, June 6, 2010

Drawing Study: Bonsai

Haven't done a drawing study in a while, so needed to get to work on it tonight. The point of my drawing studies are to make sure that I don't get "rusty" and lose the ability to draw accurately. For my paintings, drawing is a crucial element of the painting.

Tonight, went through some old pictures and found this interesting bonsai tree that I found on the internet. So, decided that it was a nice and complex study of tree limbs and foliage.

Overall, I like the drawing. The shadows on the topmost foliage could be done better (to give it more of a rounded look) and the tree trunk could use some highlights to give it a little more dimension. However, as a study, it works out well. The drawing looks like a bonsai tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment