Tuesday, July 26, 2011

New Surface

During the Illustration Master's Class (2011), I was just doodling a pen/ink creature in my sketch book when Iain McCaig (of Star Wars Fame) came over and said that he really liked my drawing. He suggested that the drawing would look awesome with a mixture of my pen/ink style and watercolor washes. Once I had the painting done, definitely send him the image. He was very interested in seeing it.

Well, it's been a month since the end of IMC and I'm finally getting around to actually doing the work. In the past, I've done the watercolor washes with my pen/ink work on very very smooth watercolor paper. However, this time I wanted to try something different. I wanted a sturdier surface.

I could try Donato's method for transferring the image or I could try something even more newer (to me). Using Clayboard. Once I started working with the clayboard, I immediately fell in love with the surface. It's amazingly smooth and the pen just glides over it. It'll be interesting to see how the watercolor washes work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment