Friday, March 5, 2010

The difference two years makes

Once in a while, it is good to look back at how you've progressed over the year(s). Lately, I've been a bit down thinking that I've not progressed that much. However, as I'm reviewing my older paintings, I realized that I'm gone incredibly far in the last year.

As you can see from the two dates, it's amazing what one year can do. The painting on the left was a watercolor plein-air painting that I did in early 2009. The original painting sold and I've been told that the client's mother is extremely happy with the painting. I'm glad.

During the last year, I've changed my medium from watercolor to oil and began studying regularly with Karen Winslow (and I hope that I can resume that one day). After a week-long workshop with her and her husband, Jack Winslow, my work showed a much more professional looking. The painting that you see for 2010 was done last week. A year later with proper instruction makes all the difference in the world.

This is not to say that my artwork was bad/mediocre before. I was rather proud of it. However, in my opinion, it wasn't what I was fully capable of. Now that I found a medium that I truly enjoy and an instructor who can give me guidance, once in a while, I'm ready for my next step as a professional artist.

So, if you think that you're not progressing... look at older works. You'll be amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment