Sunday, January 2, 2011

Still Life Study: Apple - Day 6

Guess what I painted this morning? Yep... another apple. This time, the correct color! So, the apple paintings are definitely going faster. This one took 1-1/2 hours to paint.

I'm really liking these apple studies. Rather than focusing on the colors of the apples, I'm focusing on the shape, value structure and the "roundness" of the apple.

In this case, I paid particular attention to defining the light area, the dark area and then carefully blending the edges together. Once the edges were blended, I punched up the center dark/light areas and then blended them out towards the edges. I also made liberal use of the grayed background/table to create the edges of apple more rounded.

So, eight more apples to do and then off to another fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment