Monday, June 20, 2011

IMC: Day 3 (Monday)

Now that I've got my drawing done, I was ready to begin the mounting phase. This is a matter of using acrylic matte medium and then, essentially "gluing" the watercolor paper to the masonite panel. The procedure was pretty simple to do and went on well. It takes about 2 -4 hours to dry. Once the watercolor paper is "glued" down, then, for oils, you add another then layer of matte medium over it, wait for it to dry, sand it down, and then add one more coat (let dry and then sand). Once completed, you have a pretty good mounting and smooth surface to paint on. In addition, you can see your line drawing on the panel.

Now that the mounting was completed, I was able to start my color compositions (around 6:00). Things were going well and I was ahead of schedule. I was pretty happy... things definitely go south from there. So, after working up different color compositions, Ian comes over and checks out my comps at 1:30 a.m. Looks at them... Asks me if I am happy with what I have (I say that they are okay, but missing something). He then turns to me and says: "No.... need to fix this. There is no separation from the foreground, middle ground, and background. It's too flat." So, he gave me an assignment to do for the next day. Explained about how to create a better separation.

By now, it's 2:30 a.m and I just want to get back to my dorm room. A bit dejected, but I'm here to learn, not to impress people. So, time to clean the brushes and get back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment